Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Excerpt from Ty Carson

I don't think I've done any excerpts from the Ty Carson series yet, so here's one from book one. Graveyard Bend. If you're not familiar with the basic plot of the book, Ty Carson visits Graveyard Bend, (a town) to spend the summer with his grandpa. When he arrives, his grandpa is dead, and he's convinced it was murder. Ty and some friends end up staying at his grandpa's farm, and Ty sees something out the window, he goes to check it out, and this scene takes place.


. . .“What if it is another body?” I whispered tightening my grip on the baseball bat.
Sebastian shrugged. “No one is missing. There can’t be a body if no one’s missing.”
We were getting close to the straw pile, when I stopped. “You still want to argue that it’s not a body?”
Sebastian grabbed my elbow. “Is that an arm sticking out of the straw?”
I shook my head. “Yeah, but don’t worry, it can’t be a body. No one’s missing remember? It’s probably just a random arm that someone lost.”
Sebastian turned around and waved his arms to Wally. “We’ve got to get Uncle Wyatt over here.”
I nodded. “Yeah, let’s see who it is.”
The body was dressed in a suit coat. A large gash crossed his head and dry blood clotted in his hair.
“At least they won’t have to change him for his funeral,” Sebastian whispered. “He’s already got his suit on.”
“Do you recognize him?”
Sebastian shook his head. “No, but I can’t see his face.”
I shined my flashlight on him, but his face was turned away.
I leaned forward and reached out my hand.
“What are you doing?” Sebastian hissed. “You can’t touch a dead body!”
“Why not? A real detective would.” I touched his chin and twisted his head towards us.
“I’ve never seen him before,” Sebastian whispered. “But he couldn’t have been dead for real long if his head turned that easily. Rigor mortise probably hasn’t even set in yet.”
I stared at the body. When I had touched his face, it had been warm. I reached for the body’s wrist. “Sebastian! He’s still alive!”
Sebastian dropped to his knees beside me. “Are you sure?”
“He’s got a pulse. That means his heart’s beating. If his heart’s beating, that means that his brain is still giving signals. That generally means that a body is still alive.”
“Cut out the dramatics,” Sebastian said. “This man’s hurt. We’ve got to get him to a hospital!”. . . 



4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read it!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh! Love it.
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The awesome thing about Ty and his friends, is that they can take a situation that would have been intense and serious for Amy, and make it humorous!

      Delete

Thank You for your comments!