Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Minnesotan, You Betcha!

Since Hosanna and I have birthdays so close, we decided to combine them this year and have the married kids and grandparents over between the two. I didn't think of it till the food was all made and set out, and then I realized something. We eat strange food. What's just a normal, northern Minnesotan thing to us, is really weird to the rest of the world. I just had to take pictures of these two platters to share with you. Two types of open faced sandwiches that you can find at any potluck.


Growing up, I never thought ANYTHING strange about the peanut-butter and pickle sandwich. I mean they're GREAT! Apparently, the rest of the country doesn't eat these. Do they eat them where you're from?


And my personal favorite, the cheese-wiz and olive sandwiches. Now these are great on normal bread, but to get the VERY BEST experience, you have to use the round cinnamon bread. That's what we did here. The round cinnamon bread, with cheese-wiz and olives will always be one of my favorite open face sandwiches. Have you ever had one?

Since it was just 'light snacks,' we didn't serve any hotdish or jello salad, but those are two other things that you ALWAYS find at a potluck. 

I've been told that we do other things weird too. For example, we eat our pears green. (All of us accept Mom.) I mean a crunchy green pear is WAY better than a messy and soft yellow one. And bananas, once they get the slightest bit of brown on them, then they'd better go into banana muffins or something because then it's not much good for fresh eating. Honestly, I like mine to still be green on the ridges. And cottage cheese, that should ALWAYS be eaten on buttered toast with salt and pepper.

So, now I'm curious. What kind of things do you eat that would be considered 'strange' outside of your area, or outside of your family?

10 comments:

  1. You know...I probably eat things that other people think are strange too... but I just can’t get over the peanut butter and pickle sandwiches!! Sounds terrible! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think about it, they are REALLY weird, but they're actually good! Of course, you HAVE to use dill pickles. ;)

      Delete
  2. I’ll let you have them. :) I wouldn’t want to deprive you of something SO good!! : P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait . . . cottage cheese on toast? That's a new one for me. I thought it was normal to eat it with canned peaches. Then again, I'm an import ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where that came from, but I've always eaten my cottage cheese that way. Although, there's been a few times away from home, where I've put salt and pepper on the cottage cheese and REALLY horrified a few people! :)

      Delete
  4. Unlikely to catch on in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I'm not a true Minnesotan yet. These are two things I still won't eat. ;)
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With as much as you like olives, we'll have to keep working on the cheese-wiz and olive sandwiches. SOMEDAY, you will like them! :) Or maybe not . . .

      Delete
  6. Ok. Now when I eat cottage cheese I put salt and pepper on it. :) never was a huge fan of it with fruit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comments!