Thursday, November 2, 2017

Hunting Season!

Saturday is the beginning of our deer hunting rifle season. Around here, that's like a holiday, even our local businesses give people a long weekend for it. The last few years, we haven't done much hunting because you were only allowed to get bucks, well this year it's open for buck or doe, so we're hunting again! Hopefully next week, I'll have some pictures and we'll have some meat in the freezer.
   Some years hunting, I didn't see any deer. Other years I saw deer and . . . well, I have some embarrassing stories. :/ Picture me with deer running circles around me and you'll get the picture! But there is one year of hunting that stands out. It was my second year hunting. I was thirteen, and it was one of those years that I'll never forget!
   Opening day I came home with a ten point buck and a doe! I won't tell you the whole story because if you're not a hunter, it would probably bore you, but a picture is worth a thousand words.


If you're interested in the picture of me gutting the doe, (with help from one of my brothers) you can look at the original post from seven years ago on my family's blog. 

Please pray for safety this weekend as there will be a lot of hunters out. The temperatures will be cold making it harder to sit still, but the snow makes it easier for tracking. Lord willing, we'll have some meat to put in the freezer by this time next week!


1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Hope you get something this year. I've only eaten venison once, when I was little, and I don't remember it well. But, I'm a meat-lover, or a "meatitarian" as I laughingly call myself. Salt and pepper, and I'm good, but I do love trying different seasonings and mixing up recipes. I'm more on the cooking/experimenting in the kitchen side of things. I couldn't shoot anything myself (but, if you can, go for it!), can't even butcher a chicken. I'd say I'm squeamish, but it's more like, I'm the one sibling that names all the animals and talks to them. I won't mind eating our roosters some day, when we get tired of their crowing, just don't call me until it's ready to go in the pot! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comments!