Saturday, April 30, 2016

De-junking!

   When you read that title, you probably have one of two responses. 1. "I love de-junking!" or 2. "I don't think I want to read this post!" Don't worry, if you're in either of those categories, I agree with you. I don't like to de-junk, but I also don't like things to be cluttered. With this warm weather we've been having, it makes me think of spring cleaning and going through closets and de-junking.

     In high-school, Mom had me read Clutter's Last Stand by Don Aslett.



    Honestly, I really enjoyed the book, and it motivated me to do some de-junking! Now I'm still not a clutter free person, but I've learned that there's certain areas of our lives that we can't afford to let get cluttered. For example, we can't let our minds get cluttered to the point where it's difficult to think on the Lord without getting distracted.

    This past week, I had a good conversation with a friend on de-junking books. Proverbs 23:7 says "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:..." My question for you today is what are you thinking about?  Because what you think about, is who you are, or will become. What kinds of books are you feeding yourself with? Are there books on your shelf that cause you to think in an ungodly way? Or do you read books that make you think godly thoughts? If you put godly things into your life, you'll get godly things out of your life, but if you put ungodly things in, you'll get ungodly things out.

     It's important for us to remember that just because a book is a "Christian" book, doesn't mean it's filled with the kinds of things we should be thinking about. People justify certain books by saying 'it's a Christian book,' or 'most Christian's have read it,' but that's not the point. I didn't ask you what kinds of books other Christian's read, I asked what kind of books YOU read. If you honestly trust the Lord with your reading life, you may find that you're getting rid of books that "all the Christians read," but it will be worth it.

     Go ahead and de-junk your bookshelf with the Lord's help. Don't compare your shelf to other people's, just think about what God wants YOU to be thinking about. It doesn't matter if people think you're weird for getting rid of certain books, what matters is what You're thinking in YOUR heart... because "as he thinketh in his heart, so is he..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comments!