Monday, December 16, 2019

Shadrach's Christmas - A short story


So, I've never written a story from Bible times before, but I had this idea the other day, and sat down to write. While the story is based on the true facts surrounding the birth of Christ, this story is told from the point of view of a fictional friend of Joseph's, and because he is fictitious, I took some liberties. My goal with this story is NOT to retell the Christmas story, but rather to give a different perspective, and to provoke thought. It's unedited, and the language is definitely NOT first century, but I hope it makes you think about what it would have been like to be friends with Mary or Joseph through this time in their lives.

SHADRACH'S CHRISTMAS
THE WAY CHRISTMAS MIGHT HAVE BEEN

Shadrach fought the smirk. Whatever had Joseph squirming had to be good. Joseph was so . . . stable, calm. A true friend, to be sure, but not very good at keeping secrets.

“Out with it already.” Shadrach straddled the bench beside Joseph and propped an elbow on the table. “What’s got you all nervous? Are you . . . You’re blushing! What are you hiding from me?”

Joseph flushed more. “I’m not hiding anything. I just have something I must tell you.”

Shadrach crossed his arms, and raised an eyebrow. “Well? I’m listening.”

“I’m betrothed.”

Shadrach froze. “You’re what?” He stared, but Joseph didn’t smile. He wasn’t joking. “You . . .” Shadrach couldn’t resist the chuckle that built in his chest, and he slapped the table. “You’re getting married? Well it’s about time! This house has been empty for far too long.”

Joseph held up his hands. “You don’t have to act like it’s not a normal thing. I’m beyond the usual age.”

Of course, he was. And Shadrach hadn’t let him forget it. Of course, it was slightly understandable. After all, Joseph’s father should have arranged the marriage with the woman’s father, but since his parents had died, he’d been too busy keeping everything in order to bother with marriage. It was about time. “Who’s the woman? Is it Jehoshaphat’s daughter Ruth? I saw her watching you in the market last week. Or is it Caleb’s daughter Shiprah? She’s very beautiful. Or Tirza! The daughter of Jethro.”

Joseph silently shook his head in his characteristic way as he waited for Shadrach to stop talking. “Are you finished?”

Shadrach nodded, and bit his lip. Joseph would tell him when he was good and ready. And not before.

“I’m betrothed to Mary. Daughter of Heli.”

Mary? Shadrach shook his head. He couldn’t have heard right. “Mary?”

Joseph nodded. “Yes. Mary.”

“But she’s . . .”

“She’s what?” Joseph’s eyebrows lowered, as if daring him to say something against her.

“She’s . . .” Shadrach gestured helplessly. Glancing around the empty house. “She’s quiet. Too quiet. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard her speak. You need someone to add life to this dull empty house. And she’s young! And her family . . . she doesn’t have any brothers. You’ll be expected to carry on her father’s name as well as your own.”

Joseph nodded. “I’ve thought of all that.”

“And you still want to marry her?” Shadrach shook his head. “Joe, I’m your friend. You should have gotten counsel from me first. You don’t have any idea what you’re doing! Without the proper guidance . . . you’ve just doomed yourself to a dull life.”

“Shad.” Joseph’s gaze held steel. “We’re not all interested in chasing excitement. Mary is a sensible girl, and I greatly respect her. She’s intelligent, capable, godly, and will make a fine wife.”
Shadrach ran a hand over the scruff on his chin. Glancing at Joseph’s full beard with envy. “I suppose if your mind is made up . . .”

Joseph gave a curt nod.

There was no changing his mind now. “I just hope she doesn’t mind me coming in and out. This is my second home you know. And I’ll not put up with your wife kicking me out!” Shad rose and paced the kitchen. “At least you won’t be alone the rest of your life.”

Joseph nodded. “I’m glad you approve. You’re like a little brother to me. I would have consulted you, but your father already told me it was a fine idea. I didn’t see the need to consult you.”

Shadrach nodded. Of course, his father had known. His father always seemed to know everything about people in Nazareth. “I need to go. I still have work to do before the sun goes down.”

Joseph nodded. “Thank you, Shad. For not being angry. I wasn’t sure how you’d take it.”

Shadrach paused by the door. “I would have chosen someone livelier for you. But what’s done is done. I’ll support you all the way.” With a final nod, Shadrach left Joseph’s house.

Telling Joseph he had made a mistake would be foolish. Joseph was wise and knew what he was doing. He’d picked a plain girl. A simple, quiet, but chaste girl who would make a fine wife. No doubt they’d have the quietest home in Nazareth, but if that’s what Joseph wanted, who was he to deny him that?

Shadrach headed back to his father’s field and collected the sickles for sharpening. He’d see Joseph through and be his friend through thick or thin. Joseph didn’t need a friend to second guess his decisions. He needed support. Support that Shadrach would give willingly.

####

The weeks flew by. Shad helped Joseph prepare his house for his bride, but the girl had taken this time to visit a relative. Shad didn’t mind the extra time with Joseph without her present. He hadn’t seen them together much, but Mary seemed to respect Joseph’s maturity, and hadn’t shown any disapproval for their close friendship. Of course, the whole of Nazareth knew how close Joseph and Shad had been since childhood. Even though Shad was several years younger, the two had become fast friends.

“Mary’s coming home today.” Shadrach glanced up. Joseph ignored him. “I’m assuming you’ll be taking her home soon?”

Joseph grunted, then nodded. “Her father wants more time with her home, so it’ll be a few weeks yet.”

Shad set the hammer down. “Well, this place is ready. You’ve taken good care of the place since your parents . . .” he paused.

Joseph nodded. “I know. But I want it to be perfect for Mary. And for her father.”

“Ah-ha! The truth comes out. You’re trying to impress her father. I don’t blame you. You are responsible for carrying on his family line.”

“It’s not just her father.” Joseph swiped at his brow. “Mary isn’t expecting much from me, but I want her to know that she’s taken care. I want her to love it here, and to be happy.”

Shad grinned. Joseph would never admit it, at least not yet, but he was clearly beginning to care for Mary. Or perhaps it was just his loyalty and deference. Of course, he’d want her to be happy.

“Well, I’ll get out of your hair.” Shad grabbed his cloak. Surely Mary and her father would stop by when she returned. Shad winked at Joseph, and headed outside.

He was nearly to his place across town, when he spotted her. He froze. It couldn’t be her . . . it was her. She was . . . his mind spun. Joseph’s little Mary had been unfaithful. The lump below her garment clearly showed that she was with child. This would kill Joseph.

Shad debated in his head. Should he go tell Joseph? Or should he wait for him to find out. It was cruel. Too cruel. Joseph’s loyalty didn’t deserve this. He’d taken so much time to finally be willing for marriage, and from all practical standpoints had picked a sensible girl. But clearly, he’d made a mistake. Would he ever marry now?

As much as he’d been against it at first, his heart ached as he envisioned Joseph finding out. Mary looked up, and their gazes met.

Something about her look sent cold to the pit of Shad’s stomach. She looked sad, probably for Joseph, slightly scared, no doubt she knew she would be stoned, but there was no remorse. No shame.
Shad clenched his jaw and spun on his heel. Joseph had to be told.

He glanced back, and saw Mary speak to her father. She had to know he’d go straight to Joseph. Perhaps she hoped her father could calm Joseph and help him forgive her. Not if Shad had any say. Joseph deserved better.

Shad stormed into Joseph’s house. The lamps were lit, and Joseph was kneeling on a rug with his kippah in place.

Normally, interrupting Joseph’s prayers would have bothered Shad, but this was too important. 

“Joeseph. We need to talk.”

Joseph glanced up. “Now?”

“Yes, now.”

Joseph took a deep breath, and rose to his feet. “Have a seat.” He gestured towards the table.

“I’m not sitting down.” Shad ground his teeth. How could he tell Joseph this? “You should sit down though.”

Joseph cocked an eyebrow, and sat. “You’re rather worked up. What’s the problem?”

“It’s Mary.”

Joseph straightened, and a look flashed across his face. The same look he’d had after his parents’ death. “What happened?” His voice was calm, but his eyes showed a fear.

A knock tapped at the door.

“That’s probably her father now.” Shad grabbed the door and yanked it open. If Mary was with him . . . his shoulder’s sagged in relief. He was alone. “It’s about time you showed up.”

Joseph rose. “Shad.” He placed a hand on Shad’s shoulder. “Be more gracious.”

“Wait till you hear what he has to say,” Shad said through gritted teeth.

Joseph speared him with a look, and turned to Mary’s father. “Heli. What brings you by?”

Heli rubbed his hands across the side of his garment and avoided Joseph’s gaze. “We need to talk.”

“You better start talking.” Shad crossed his arms, and stood beside Joseph. No matter what, he’d be there to support Joseph.

Heli took a deep breath, and looked up. “There’s no easy way to say this. Mary is with child.”

Shad studied Joseph, waiting for a reaction. Anger. Sadness. Anything. But Joseph simply stared. Almost as if he hadn’t heard.

Heli also watched him closely. “I’m sorry. Joseph, I don’t know how this happened, but her mother and I beg for mercy. You have every right to have her stoned, but we humbly beseech you to show mercy.”

Joseph glanced up. “Who’s the father?”

Heli ran a hand through his hair, and a breathy laugh slipped out. “Depends on who you believe.”

“What does Mary say?” Joseph’s face still didn’t betray the inner turmoil he had to feel.

Heli gestured helplessly. “She claims that an angel appeared to her. She says that her baby is the Messiah. That she hasn’t sinned and that God placed the child there. She claims that she is still a virgin.”

Shad snorted. Of course, the Messiah was to be born of a virgin, but what right did Mary have to claim it was her? God wasn’t going to pick a simple girl like Mary from a little place like Nazareth. No, she had to be lying to cover her sin.

Heli hung his head. “I’m sorry. I know we don’t have any right to expect mercy, but please at least consider it. And . . . if she must die, can it wait till the baby is born? It’s not the child’s fault that she has sinned.”

Joseph guided Heli to the door. “Thank you for telling me. I’ll take time to pray and think about it, and when I’ve reached a decision, I’ll speak to you.”

Heli nodded. He opened his mouth to say something else, but then shut it, and left with drooping shoulders.

Joseph headed for the fireplace and turned the spit with meat on it as if he hadn’t just had his future shaken.

“Joseph. Talk to me.”

Joseph glanced up. “Would you like to stay for supper?”

“Joseph!” Shad grabbed his shoulders and shook him. “Did you not just hear that? Mary is an unfaithful adulteress!”

Joseph nodded. “I heard.”

“Then how can you sit there calmly?”

Joseph shrugged. “If Mary has sinned, getting angry won’t make anything better.”

“What do you mean if she’s sinned. I saw her! She’s with child. And don’t tell me that she’s telling the truth about carrying the Messiah. Mary is a simple girl from Nazareth. She’s not the kind God would choose to carry the Messiah. She’s clearly trying to hide her sin. What are you going to do about it?”

Joseph eased back onto the bench, and his shoulders sagged as if he carried the weight of the world. “I don’t know.”

“Clearly, she’ll have to be stoned.” Shad’s tongue felt heavy with the words. No matter how vile Mary’s sin was, or how much it crushed Joseph, he didn’t want to watch a young woman be stoned. He’d seen it once . . . and it hadn’t been pleasant. Definitely not something he’d want to see again. And Heli’s family . . . no matter how wicked Mary had been, he couldn’t wish it upon them to have to watch their daughter be stoned. And even watching Joseph throw the first stone wouldn’t be easy.

Joseph nodded. “Yes. I suppose that would be justice.”

Shad stared at the lines around Joseph’s forehead. When had he started to look so old? “I'm sorry.” Shad put a hand on Joseph’s shoulder. “This shouldn’t be happening to you.”

Joseph stared into the fire. “Perhaps . . .” his voice trialed off and he studied the fire.
Shad waited for him to continue. Joseph needed to think things through before speaking, and after years of friendship, Shad had learned to give him time.

Suddenly, Joseph’s shoulders straightened. “I’ll speak to Heli in the morning. He requested mercy. For his sake, I’ll grant her mercy. I’ll put her away privately.”

Shad nodded. It would be the merciful thing but . . . “You know how people talk. It’s a small town.”
Joseph shrugged. “Who cares if people think I showed mercy? They’d be right.”

Shad sat with Joseph for a while, but finally headed home. Joseph was Joseph. Of course, he was taking it well, but Shad could see the pain inside. This would take time to heal.

The next morning, Shad paused in the street and stared at Heli’s house. How could Mary have done this to a man like Joseph. He deserved better.

Mary exited the house, and headed for the well. Shad frowned. Why wasn’t she hiding inside? Trying to hide her condition? She had always been timid. Why did she seem so bold now?

Down the path, Joseph approached. Shad knew he should go on, but he couldn’t stop watching. As much as she deserved this, it brought him no joy.

Joseph would walk past her without even looking at her, and go speak to Heli. Then, he’d never think of her again.

Mary stared at Joseph approaching, her hands were clearly trembling.

Joseph stopped, and a smile crossed his face.

Shad frowned. Why was he speaking to her? And why was he smiling like that? He spoke for a moment, and then Mary broke into a smile as well.

Joseph spoke for a moment longer, and then gave a slight bow, and passed into the house.

Shad waited. That hadn’t looked like a conversation about her being put away.

Time seemed to stand still. How long could Joseph possibly spend inside? When he finally came out, his smile still remained in place, but he also carried a look of responsibility.

Shad strode towards him and fell in step beside him. “What are you doing?”

Joseph’s face slipped into another grin. “You might not believe me if I told you.”

Shad gripped Joseph’s arm and pulled him to a halt. “Would you quit grinning and tell me what’s going on?”

Joseph chuckled slightly. He hadn’t laughed since . . . before his parents’ death. “This might sound crazy, but last night . . . an angel appeared to me.”

Shad opened his mouth, but Joseph held up his hand.

“I know. It sounds crazy. But Mary was right. That baby growing inside her is going to be the messiah. The angel told me to take her as my wife.”

“Joseph.” Shad glanced around. “You’re risking your reputation off of a dream?” He lowered his voice to a whisper. “Joseph. This is Nazareth! Do you know what people will say? They’ll think that you’re the father and that you’ve committed fornication! Everyone will think you’re marrying her to cover your sin.”

Joseph’s smile faded. “I know. But it’s what God has called me to do.”

“It was a dream!” Shad tightened his grip on Joseph’s arm. He had to make him see. “You have no idea what you’re doing. You deserve better. You can’t let your reputation be ruined like this. Your good name. What would your father say?”

Joseph shrugged. “I don’t know what my father would say. But I do know that I’m doing the right thing.”

“But . . .”

“No.” Joseph cut him off. “It wasn’t just a dream. Mary will have a son, and we will call him Jesus. Just as the angel said. He is the son of God. And I know you don’t believe me, and I can’t ask you to. But as my friend, I’m asking you to not question me. Please. I understand the difficulty of this, but I’m going to need support.”

Shad huffed out his breath. Joseph had him in a corner. Of course, he’d agree to support Joseph. “Fine. But you deserve better.”

Joseph shrugged. “I don’t know. I’m feeling rather inadequate. God’s asked me to be an earthly father to His son.”

Shad frowned. “Are you going to take her as your wife now?”

Joseph shook his head. “No. Not till after the baby is born.”

Shad nodded. How could Joseph be so deceived? So blind? And that look on his face when he talked about Mary . . . he loved her! He winced. People would talk. Everyone would think the worst of him. “I’ve got your back.” No matter what, he’d be Joseph’s friend.

#####

The weeks passed, and then, the decree came. Straight from Caeser Augustus. Everyone had to be taxed. Joseph would have to go to Bethlehem. It’d be nice if he could see his cousin again, but Dan wasn’t going to be happy with Joseph when he heard the news.

Shad approached Joseph’s house. Inside, Joseph was packing a leather sack with provisions.

“Shad, I need to speak with you.”

Shad grinned. “I’m here.”

“May I borrow your donkey?”

Shad frowned. Not a question he’d been expecting. “Why?” Joseph had never minded walking before.

“For Mary.”

“You’re not taking her with you.” Shad stared into Joseph’s gaze, but Joseph wasn’t joking. “In her condition? She’s about to have a baby!”

Joseph nodded, his forehead creased. “I know. But she’s my espoused wife. It’s expected for me to take her with me. And . . .” he paused. “Well, I’m concerned for her safety if I leave her. You know how people feel about us.”

Shad nodded. “Father and I have already been numbered and taxed. What if I go with you?”

“Why?”

Shad frowned. “Because I’m your friend. And there is safety in numbers. I don’t like the idea of you travelling out in the wilderness like that. You could be robbed. And you need a chaperone.”

“We’re traveling with Rueben’s family.”

“I’d still like to go. If your cousin Dan doesn’t except you and Mary . . . you’ll need a friend.”

Joseph nodded. “Fine. But only if your father is sure he can get along without you.”

Of course, Joseph would want to ensure that everyone was taken care of. That’s how he was.

####

“I knew it.” Shad slammed a fist against the stone wall outside the inn. Joseph’s cousin Dan had insisted they were full. And they probably were, from the looks he’d glimpsed through the door. They were packed. But any cousin of Shad’s would have made room. Dan and his wife had whispered a bit. His wife had gestured at Mary, and they’d turned back with hard faces. Clearly, they weren’t interested in making room.

Every other inn was full too. The hassles of everyone travelling to Bethlehem.

“Joseph?” Mary’s voice was soft. Hesitant.

“Yes, Mary?” Joseph turned to the donkey.

“I think . . . I think the baby might come tonight.”

Joseph’s eyes widened, and for the first time, in Shad’s memory, he showed panic. “Tonight? Here? You’re going to have the baby?”

Mary smiled softly. “It has to come sometime. I can’t be pregnant forever.”

Shad raised an eyebrow. He’d never seen this side of Mary. She was actually teasing Joseph! She’d better know how special Joseph was. Shad glanced at Joseph. He still looked panicked.

“Are you going to have it right here?” Joseph’s eyes were wide.

“Only if you plan to spend the next twenty-four hours here.” Mary shifted and winced.

“How much time do we have?” Joseph’s voice was strained.

“Relax.” Shad lightly punched him in the arm. “It’ll be several hours. Probably not till tomorrow.”

“How would you know?” Joseph asked.

Shad fought the grin. Joseph hadn’t had any younger brothers or sisters. He didn’t know these things. “When Mother had my younger brothers and sisters, it always took a lot of time.” He glanced at Mary. “I’m sure we have time.”

Mary smiled slightly. “Of course, if you’d like to deliver the baby yourself, we can stay here.”

Maybe he’d been wrong about her? Mary had a lot more spunk than he’d imagined.

“Oh.” Joseph paled. “Who will deliver the baby?”

Mary’s face tensed again, and then relaxed into a smile. “You’ll have to find us a place, and then you can find a midwife.”

Joseph glanced up and down the busy street. “We’ve tried every inn. Should we just start knocking on random doors and begging for a space? Surely someone has room.”

Shad pointed to the town well. “Why don’t you two rest here. I’ll find a place.”

Shad wandered around the town and checked out every possibility. The stable wasn’t huge, but it was warm enough, and dry enough. And the owner had offered it for free when he found out that a woman with child needed it. After getting Joseph and Mary settled, he headed out to find a midwife. It took longer than he’d hoped, but eventually, he found one, and brought her back.

Joseph paced outside, but Shad rested on the ground with his back leaned against the stable. “You might as well sit down and get some sleep. This could take all night.”

Joseph cast him a look that was hard to discern in the night, and then resumed his pacing.
Shad let his eyes slide closed. Joseph kicked up a cloud of dust, and Shad coughed.

“Will she be alright?” Joseph’s voice held concern.

Shad opened one eye. “Of course. Woman give birth all the time. She’ll be fine. And if this is God’s baby like you claim, then I’m sure He’ll make sure she’s fine.”

Joseph’s shoulders sagged. “I know. I need to trust more.”

Shad opened both his eyes. “You love her don’t you?”

Joseph stopped, and stared at the night sky. “Yes. I do. I didn’t pick Mary because I loved her. But the more I get to know her, the more I love her. I know you think she’s boring, but she’s an incredible woman, and the greatest blessing in my life. I hope I’m worthy to be her husband.”

Shad snorted. The woman ruined his reputation, and he hoped he was worthy of her. Well, one thing was for sure. Getting to know her on the journey had been eye-opening. She was an incredible woman. But still . . . believing that she wasn’t guilty as everyone claimed wasn’t easy. Joseph seemed so sure but . . .

Shad shrugged. Regardless of what he thought, Joseph needed his support right now. “You’re worthy of her. She’s blessed to have you.”

“Do you think she feels the same way?” Joseph asked. “I haven’t been around a lot of woman and . . . I don’t know how she feels.”

Of course, Joseph hadn’t had sisters like him, and his mother hadn’t been around for years. “I don’t know as much as woman as you think, but yes, I’d say she does love you too.”

Joseph’s shoulders sagged. “I figured she did, but I wanted another opinion. I guess we’ll talk about it soon.”

A moan wafted from the stable, and Joseph’s knuckles clenched white. “Are you sure she’s going to be alright?”

“Relax, alright?” Shad shook his head. He was acting as ridiculous as Shad’s older brother when he’d had his first son!

Shad tried to distract Joseph, and keep him talking, but eventually, he gave up. “I’m going to go for a walk, explore the city. Maybe even wander into the country.”

“Is that safe?” Joseph’s brow furrowed in the moonlight.

Shad grinned. “I got an uncle out in these hills somewhere. He’s a shepherd. And I’d hate to come this far without seeing him. Besides, I’ll have my staff, and I reckon once the baby is born, you’ll want some time with Mary and the child without me there.”

Joseph nodded. “Alright. Watch your back.”

Shad grinned, and slipped into the night. He needed the fresh air. And watching Joseph wasn’t restful. It only sent anger through him. Why did Joseph’s reputation have to be tainted? He deserved better.
He wandered around for hours before he finally found someone who could tell him where Uncle Joshua was watching sheep, but the hike would take a good two hours. He glanced at the sky. If he went all the way out there, visited, and then came back, it would be morning by the time he got back. Maybe in the morning he could go. But not tonight. He headed back to the stable. Joseph was nowhere to be seen, so he tapped on the door frame of the stable. “Joseph?” he called softly.

“Shad, get in here,” Joseph called softly.

Shad entered. The Midwife was gone, and Mary lay in the straw asleep.

Joseph held a bundle in his arms.

“Isn’t it incredible? It’s a boy. Just like the angel said it would be. His name is Jesus.”

Joseph looked like he was holding a fragile piece of pottery. He looked terrified the baby would fall apart in his arms.

“Would you like to hold him?” Joseph asked.

Shad almost shook his head. Wasn’t that practically supporting the sin? Then again . . . if Joseph and Mary were right, then this baby was God’s son. Perhaps holding him would somehow help him know.
Shad approached Joseph and took the baby from him. He stared into the sleeping baby’s face. He was a perfect boy. A little fist curled out of the cloths they’d wrapped him in, and he slept peacefully. But Shad felt nothing. It was no different than holding his baby brother. Shad’s shoulders sagged. He wanted a feeling. Something. Anything. He wanted to know that Joseph was right! But he didn’t feel anything. It was just a baby.

Joseph beamed. “He’s perfect.”

Shad handed him back. “How do you know he’s God’s son?”

Joseph stared at the baby. “Because God sent his angel to tell both Mary and me. God doesn’t send angels to tell lies.”

“But how can you look at that baby and see our Savior?”

Joseph stared at the baby. “I just know. God promised this. Isaiah, the prophets, they all prophesied about this. I know. Jesus may be a baby now, but he will grow up to be our Savior. Just watch and see.”

Mary stirred, and sat up.

Joseph laid the baby in the manager, and knelt beside Mary. “How are you feeling?”

Mary’s smile showed her weariness. “Like the most blessed woman on earth.”

A knock sounded at the door, and Joseph pushed to his feet. His jaw clenched. No doubt, his fatherly instincts were kicking in. “Who is it?”

“My name is Joshua. I’m here to see the Messiah. May we come in?”

Joseph’s eyes widened. “How do they know?”

Shad shrugged. “There’s no way to know unless you let them in.”

Joseph opened the door.

“Uncle Joshua?” Shad stared as the man stepped into the lit stable.

“Shadrach?”

“What are you doing here?” Shad glanced at the shepherds behind Uncle Joshua. “And who is watching the sheep?”

Uncle Joshua’s face lit up. “The angels told us we could find the Messiah here. That he was born tonight, and we had to come here to see him. To worship him.”

Shad stood back as the shepherds crowded around the manger.

The angels had spoken to Uncle Joshua as well? Why was God sending angels to talk to everyone but him?

Movement caught his attention, and he glanced down. “Mary? You should be resting.”

Mary’s soft smile split her face. “Shadrach. Joseph told me that you doubt.”

Shad shifted, and avoided her gaze.

“I don’t blame you. I wouldn’t believe it myself if I hadn’t have seen the angel with my own eyes. I’ve always believed the prophets, but I didn’t really expect it to happen in my lifetime. Yet, here we are. For Joseph’s sake. Please, consider that what he’s saying is true. I know you don’t trust me, and I don’t expect you to. But for Joseph’s sake, will you please consider it? He knows you don’t believe him, and it bothers him more than he lets on.”

“Shad,” Uncle Joshua approached. “I wish you could have seen it. There were angels everywhere. This is the long-awaited messiah!”

Shad glanced from Mary’s sincere face to Uncle Joshua’s beaming face. His gaze found Joseph’s, and he felt the question in Joseph’s gaze. He approached the manger. Maybe they were right.

He knelt before the manger and gently stroked the baby’s face. Could it be? As if a wall in his heart cracked, the truth seemed to sink through. He knew. This was the Messiah. He glanced up and met Joseph’s gaze. Why hadn’t he believed Joseph in the beginning? Truly, this was the son of God.

  THE END

2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome to give us something to think about this year.I really like it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comments!