Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Meeting Patch the Pirate

The last few years, we've tried to take a little family trip in the spring. This year, we went to Iowa, where we visited a friend of Mom's from when she was in France on a missions trip, and we attended the Patch the Pirate Live in Ankey, Iowa.


I grew up listening to Patch the Pirate, and if it was only for that, I'd have still thought it was cool to meet him. (For those of you who know me well, you've probably heard me quote Patch the Pirate before.) But the opportunity to meet him wasn't just about his fame as Patch the Pirate. 
Our church has used the Majesty Hymnal for years, and there are several hymns in there written by Ron Hamilton. In some ways, he kind of feels like the Philip Bliss of our day. His most well-known one in our church is probably Rejoice in the Lord, but he's written many others.
As for Shelly Hamilton, well, she wrote the song that we used as the theme song at my graduation. (The Secret Place)  She's also put together a LOT of great materials for the church pianist.
So whether it was Patch the Pirate, or Ron Hamilton, I've been blessed by their ministry all my life, and I was THRILLED to get to meet them. Even if we did drive through a blizzard to get there.


It was also neat to meet some of the crew on board the Jolly Roger. Over all, we had a great trip, shopping, spending time with fellow believers, and being together as a family. I was reminded of how fragile life is. Take the time to cherish the moments with your family. Another of Ron Hamilton's songs is Cherish the Moments, and it is so true. We don't have this life forever, so be sure to love your family while you can.

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome! They were at our church last July so I know the feeling :) What a great man of God, and a godly family and legacy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comments!